Friday, July 17, 2009

More Heart in San Francisco


I love this town! There is music at ever street corner, and in between, too. That was my very first impression when I came to town the first time, to visit my brother Gerry in 1971 -- and that impression has been renewed with every return visit through the decades.

Now the city is also embellished with performance artists, who entertain us at all the touristy hot-spots. They paint themselves silver or gold or wear outrageous costumes and make curious gyrations or simply stand absolutely still in poses that make my joints ache. This trip there seem to be more such performers than ever, holding tin cups or hats to collect your appreciation in the coin of the realm. I don't know the stats, but San Francisco has got to have the highest concentration of people who have developed the act of standing still and doing nothing to a fine art.

But there is also much art and science going on among those with higher energy and motion levels. Just as D.C. has its painted donkeys and elephants and Cheyenne has its giant boots, so San Francisco has its large painted hearts.

For me, of course, the heart and the art of SF are all about the family members who reside in the Bay area. We stay in the center of the city, at the Union Square Marriott (compliments of my dear ACE staff -- thank you, thank you for the gift cards that made our prolonged stay in the city affordable!). Spending time with our kids and their ladies, my brother Gerry and his family -- what a gift! We even get to share dinner with my brother Ken, who serendipitously shows up in SF for one night, the night of our arrival.

For me, it's tough to leave SF to continue on our journey. But we will be back, and soon, for Brad & Becky's wedding next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment