Saturday, July 4, 2009

These Boots Are Made for Talkin’


Here in the Washington, D.C. area, we are acquainted with the quirky painted sculptures of donkeys and elephants that are scattered throughout the city. In San Francisco, the City of Love – not surprisingly – they have hearts, big, big hearts, artistically rendered and placed throughout the city.

So in Cheyenne, there are the boots.

Cowboy boots, of course. Standing at seven feet tall, these boots are decorated by local artists to convey various themes about this wild, wild western town. I discovered the boots during our 2006 visit, and thought that during this visit I might make it my mission to try to photograph all of the boots, all over the city.

That was before I learned that there are 19 of them! Our visit here was just not long enough.

But I did catch a bunch of them, and those photos will be posted on my Facebook page (Facebook identifier: BonitaMoore). It is Cheyenne’s contention that “these boots are made for talkin’.” And they do a pretty decent job of it, telling the city’s story.

I wonder if other towns in the US have similar projects? I haven’t come across any yet in our travels. Have you?

No comments:

Post a Comment